On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
<a...@lomaxdesign.com>wrote:

Cude>> ... as long as Rossi uses his own designates to report measurements,
he will not be taken seriously. As soon as it would be visual and obvious so
anyone can see it, he would be rich and famous.

Lomax> Cude has repeated this meme, it should be answered. Rossi did not
pick the Swedish scientists who observed, Mats Lewan did.

Maybe, but Rossi OK'd them.

> And he seems to have accepted any reputable physicist willing to look at
the work.

So far, that would be 3.

His public demo was invitation only. He has never made a public invitation
to anyone who wants to make direct measurements on the experiment. The kind
that would be required to verify his claims. Because reported measurements
to date (except maybe the secret ones) do not verify his claims.

> Given their reputations, if Rossi were inclined to reject anyone who would
not be gullible, he'd not have allowed them to observe. In order to maintain
the fraud hypothesis here, I'd have to assume that Rossi paid off Lewan and
the other Swedes.

No. He talked to them. He read their interviews, and what they wrote. He
probably got the sense that they were prepared to believe that the output
flow of mist and steam was pure vapour. He might have gotten a gentleman's
agreement that they would accept the experimental setup as it was, and
simply read the meters.

When I asked Lewan in the comments on his blog why he hadn't made more
penetrating investigations, this was his response:

"The reason for the set-up is of course partly limited by *what Rossi lets
us prepare,* but it's also of practical reasons: I don't have the E-cat in
my own laboratory and have no possibility to prepare a thorough set-up of my
own wish. Furthermore there's a good reason not to change an existing set-up
as this probably creates new situations that have to be dealt with in follow
up tests. I actually only planned one test but postponed my return to Sweden
to make a second as I had some things I wanted to check better, as the steam
flow. If I had changed the set-up I probably would have had to do three or
four tests to be satisfied (and to satisfy all readers...). *Try to imagine
coming to a lab which is not yours*, only having a couple of hours to check
a thing that most people don't believe in…"

Rossi is no doubt good at manipulating and reading people, and knowing who
will be bold enough to insist on this measurement or that change. Those
Swedes all seem pretty mild-mannered.

Also note that an early plan to allow the Swedes to test the device in their
own labs was scrapped until further notice.

> As to visual and obvious, no, it would not be "as soon as." There is a
mechanism of fame, and it takes time, sometimes. Media ignorance of the
Rossi story is puzzling, but this happens. Consider the Wright brothers.

Consider Pons & Fleischman. It was overnight. The Wright Brothers were very
secretive, avoiding the press and others, limiting the photographs, until
they had an offer on the table. But after the first *obvious* public
demonstrations in 1908, "the Wright brothers catapulted to world fame
overnight". The demonstration did not rely on experts' testimonies, or
invitee's accounts. Anyone who wanted could witness it with their own eyes.

If Rossi wants to be secretive, that's fine. But if he makes an obvious
public demonstration where there is no input energy, and no doubt about
energy densities higher than chemical, I expect overnight fame. Just like
the Wright brothers.

> There isn't any doubt that this is highly newsworthy at this time,

You mean you have no doubt. Obviously, if there were *no* doubt, it would in
the news. It's not as if the major media don't have access to the internet.

> it's either the energy development of the century, or the most brazen
fraud to hit with respect to energy production. This will be noticed by
history regardless, this is not one of a long line of similar frauds.

I don't see it that way at all. It's either true or false, yes. But there
are many ways it can be false, and I wouldn't even rule out self-deception
on Rossi's part. Why or how it's false doesn't matter. Without evidence, we
have no reason to believe it's true.

But if it is fraud, I don't see it as particularly different from previous
frauds, particularly Mills (which might also be self-deception).

> Cude comments, generally, as if LENR itself is not believable. Yet, I
noticed this from Wikipedia yesterday:

> Norman D. Cook (Oxford University, England), "Computing Nuclear Properties
in the fcc Model.", Computers in Physics, Mar/Apr 1989, pages 73-77. […] on
theoretical grounds alone, it would be quite premature to dismiss cold
fusion as theoretically unlikely."

> In 2010, Cook revised his previous work on nuclear models:

> How about a recent textbook, Models of the Atomic Nucleus, by Norman D.
Cook, Springer, 2010 (Second edition), which has a newly added chapter on
LENR? […] glib dismissal of cold fusion as "junk science" in 1989 has been
shown to be truly "junk evaluation."

> Springer published the first edition of the book in 2006, and Cook doesn't
seem to have written anything on cold fusion until 2008, so he is not some
long-term "advocate."

So, you find one more scientist who is sympathetic to CF, and that is
supposed to change the fact that the vast majority, especially physicists,
continue to dismiss CF as theoretically unlikely, and experimentally
unproven.

Cook is impressively prolific and interdisciplinary, but as far as I can
tell, he's a psychologist (according to American Scientist), in the
department of informatics at the University of Kansai in Japan. At the time
of the Computers in Physics article, he was a member of the Department of
Experimental Psychology at Oxford.

Can you name a university that uses his book as a text book?

And if I understand your reference, he did make sympathetic comments about
CF in 1989.

> Cude represents a grad student level understanding of physics, a grad
student who has diligently studied to master a field, which means stuffing
his head with what's been known and theorized, and being able to regurgitate
it in a way to bring approval from experts in the current state of his
field.

Actually, that's an undergraduate level. Graduate students are required to
bring new knowledge to the world.

After all, a few Nobel prizes have been awarded for graduate work, including
those awarded to Mossbauer, Josephson, and de Broglie.

And my attitude toward CF is shared by the likes of Gell-Mann, Glashow,
Weinberg, and so on. The Nobel committee clearly feels their level of
understanding is solid.

> He doesn't yet understand that science advances through recognizing what
is not known, not through believing what is assumed to be known.

Actually, it advances through both. Well, not believing, but making
hypotheses based on what is assumed to be known.

> We provisionally accept what is known, without belief,

Scientists do, yes. But this does not describe most of the CF advocates, who
most certainly accept what they think is known with fervent belief.

> because we need to have something to stand on, or we could not make
progress.

Quite.

> Obviously, science has come up with tremendous accomplishments in
extending theory to the point where it can make frequently very accurate
predictions, but the prediction of "fusion below detectable levels in the
solid state" was a prediction that had never been confirmed,

and could never be. Some things can be confirmed. But the absence of
detection in a vague context can't be, because there are an infinite number
of conditions in the solid state.

The prediction was based on a theory consistent with such a wide range of
experiments, and not contradicted by any, that physicists made it with
uncommon confidence. Even so, when P&F made their announcement, I doubt
there was a physicist on the planet that didn't second guess the theory. But
when the experiments didn't hold up, their confidence was restored.

> and, as Cook wrote in 1989, there were "enough unsolved problems" that
such a prediction must be considered a hypothesis, a guess, based on
approximations, not a basis, at all, for rejecting experimental evidence.

Well, it was much more than a guess, but like I said, they did second guess
it for a while. They did not reject experimental evidence because of the
theory. They went to the lab and did experiments, and they took a closer
look at the experiments reported. And then they rejected cold fusion with
increased confidence.

It's all about the evidence. P&F evidence turned out to be flaky, and every
CF experiment since has turned out to give flaky results. None of them are
convincing.

And the attitude, I suspect, of physicists is that if cold fusion is
happening, this would not be the state of affairs. It would be easy to
detect. A factor of a million is a lot.

> The excess heat reported by Pons and Fleischmann was a reproducible
experiment.

No. It was not reproducible. And it was not convincing.

> It was a difficult one,

No. It was an easy one. Just not reproducible. Irreproducibility makes an
experiment look hard. But electrolysis is easy. Calorimetry is easy. What
was hard about it?

>  However, I know of no example of a researcher who persisted, despite
initial replication failure, who ultimately failed to find the effect. Most
who failed gave up quite quickly.

Researchers who initially failed and gave up, did so not only because they
failed, but because they also took another look at the apparent successes,
and concluded the evidence was absent. Those who kept going, obviously
believed in the claims, and that kind of belief leads to cognitive bias, and
eventually, as calorimetry goes, it pays off. So it's a bit of a tautology.

The problem is that those who ultimately claimed to find the effect were
unable to convince those who failed to give it another go. The effect was so
marginal, so iffy, so controversial, that most scientists didn't buy it.
Those who failed had already shown that they have a sufficiently open mind
to give CF a hearing after P&F, but nothing after them was convincing
enough.

Once bitten, twice shy I suppose.

Still, scientists are loath to be left behind in a revolution, so if they
thought there was a small chance that CF was real, they would be all over
it, just like they were in 1989. But I suspect 22 years without progress
makes most of them even more certain it is bogus.

> The chimera walked through the lab, and was photographed. The same camera
at other times showed no chimera. Many people photographed their labs,
having set out the same bait, they thought, and saw no chimera, which
proves? Others saw it.

A chimera, or the loch ness monster? There are similarities. The problem is
the pictures, when they get them, are never clear. A fuzzy head there maybe,
and that looks like a tail. Occasionally a better picture comes along, and
it turns out to be a stuffed animal. There are enough photographers in CF
that even if they all sucked at taking pictures, some pictures would be
clear. But there are no clear pictures.

> Let's go over the chimera traits, as it appears in electrochemical PdD
experiments.

>1. Appears correlated with current density.

Except in heat after death, which happens sometimes, but not always.

> 2. Appears under disequilibrium, probably due to deuterium flow.

What does that mean?

> 3. Leaves behind helium in proportion to its total presence.

Not convincingly.

> 4. Leaves about half of the helium behind, trapped in the lattice, near
the surface. The rest mostly escapes in the effluent gases.

ditto.

> 5. Disappears rapidly with hydrogen impurity in the heavy water. (The
figure I have in mind is that 1% is enough to poison the effect.)

And yet hydrogen works just fine with Ni.

> 6. Appearance and disappearance depends upon incompletely understood
characteristics of an experiment, such as the history of the cathode.

Huh?

> 7. Appearance is reported to produce unexpected minor products or
secondary effects, such as transmutations other than to helium,
radioautographs on X-ray film.

So, we are expected to believe there is not one but several reactions that
are contrary to known theory and that no one can pin down.

> 8. No theory of chimera appearance has been found to be accurately
predictive.

One might think that with a list of necessary characteristics, someone could
set up a convincing demonstration, but as Rothwell and Mallove used to
lament, there isn't one.

Anyway, that list kind of illustrates the flaky nature of the experiment.
There are so many "appears" and "probably"s, and "about"s, and "mostly"s and
"depends on incompletely understood characteristics of an experiment"s, and
"unexpected"s and unpredictables.

> The pseudoskeptical position is that a new, previously unknown species is
impossible. The pseudoskeptics, unlike real skeptics, are content to simply
believe this, based on a trust or attachment to the alleged thoroughness of
prior exploration, and they find no need to establish, by experiment, the
true cause of the effects.

It's lack of evidence that makes most people skeptical. There are enough
examples of pathological science, where the fervent desire for something to
be true skews the results, that they are waiting for better evidence of an
effect to give it a second chance.

> Real skeptics would, with phenomena like this, keep an open mind, as Cook
did in 1989.

As did most physicists in 1989. Like I said, most second-guessed the theory
for a while. But the evidence didn't stand up.

> It appears that Cook, like many others, eventually came to be convinced
that there is something real happening here.

> He's notable as a theoretical physicist who knew the inadequacies of
theory, back in 1989,

Is he a notable as a theoretical physicist? He's been in psychology and
informatics departments. American Scientist lists him as a psychologist. He
publishes mostly on psychology topics like the brain and perception etc.
According to the Web of Science database, his physics papers are hardly
cited at all, several with zero citations, and the most cited paper with 11.
He's certainly conversant in nuclear physics, and has written a book on it,
but I don't see evidence that he would be regarded as a notable theoretical
physicist by anyone.

It's sort of beside the point anyway. CF has its MIT theoretical physicist,
and several other somewhat notables. One more doesn't change the picture
significantly. The fact that you have to beat the bushes like that to turn
up a positive comment on CF is kind of the exception that proves the rule.

> and he's confirmed what I was taught by Feynman in about 1963. The
predictions of quantum mechanics were inadequate to make precise predictions
of the behavior of bulk matter, the math is too difficult.

That's silly. Quantum mechanics is used to make many accurate predictions
about the behaviour of bulk matter. Solid state physics makes heavy use of
quantum mechanics.

In any case, nuclear reactions involve extremely short range forces, so the
many body problems of electromagnetic forces in bulk matter don't apply.

> Besides cold fusion, one of the experimental clues that these assumptions
could be off was Takahashi's early work with the bombardment of PdD with
accelerated deuterons. He reported evidence of triple deuteron fusion at
levels that were 10^26 higher than the normal prediction, based on simple
probabilities and the plasma assumptions.

In 1999. He was looking for evidence to confirm his idea of 3-body deuteron
fusion, so confirmation bias seems likely. Any other groups observed similar
results? Anyway, a decade later, there doesn't seem to be much to show for
it. And the reactions were detected by the energetic particles, which aren't
supposed to happen in CF.

> Something in the solid state shifts things, sometimes. That led him to
look for possibly multibody effects in cold fusion, hence his later
theories.

I think this is the wrong way round. He refers to his ideas of multibody
reactions, first published in 1989, in the experimental work of 1999.