On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 10:05 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
<a...@lomaxdesign.com>wrote:

Lomax>>> "Reputable scientists" won't even look at the evidence!

Cude>>Most looked a long time ago,

Lomax>No. Most never actually looked at it, after enough evidence had
accumulated to allow some kind of reasonable decision. That didn't happen
until something like the mid 1990s. The rejection happened sooner, before
there was adequate evidence, but it was not based on proof of absence,
rather on absence of proof.

The DOE looked again in 2004, and did not find conclusive evidence then
either.

>> and are satisfied that if the claims (as I put it above) were real, a
convincing demo would be a piece of cake to design.

> Really? Below I show why that's very wrong. It's not the norm in physics,

But this is a claim of heat. Most claims are not as simple as that.

>> And then along comes Rossi, and all the advocates are saying *this* is
what the field has been waiting for. *This* is finally the demo Rothwell and
Mallove had been wishing for.

> Which demo?

All of them, collectively, I suppose.

> When I saw the reports of the January demo, I wrote to CMNS researchers
and practically begged them to not comment on it, because of the
consequences if it turned out to be fraud or error. From the January demo,
maybe error was still possible, but even then, I was warning about the
possibility of fraud. The later reports shifted the situation. Error became
quite unlikely and fraud seems unlikely too,

I don't see how the later experiments, which had the same problems as the
first made things any better, unless you're hanging your hat on the secret
experiment.

> So Huizenga knew it was important when Miles confirmed helium commensurate
with heat. With no gamma rays.

>>Does Huizenga believe in cold fusion now? No.

> Uh, have you asked him such that you can confidently proclaim what he
believes? I'm not going to repeat rumors I've heard. I was talking about
1993, almost twenty years ago, when Huizenga was very active still.

He didn't believe it after Miles in 1993, so he did not consider it a
confirmation. And if in the intervening period, he became convinced, I've
not heard him say so.

>>The 2nd part of that was done for Focardi, and some people still kept
believing, and now after Rossi, I think the doubters believe in Focardi
again. So that's not enough.

> No, there was a single experiment done that may be interpreted as being
something like that,

That was interpreted exactly like that by some... Rothwell also claimed
Mckubre did an experiment like that.

>>It's highly unlikely to happen, because even the people who believe in CF
don't seem to be doing quantitative heat-helium experiments.

> Not any more. They did them in the 1990s. Look at how much research
funding it gained them.

They might try doing some replications of Miles (which you called crude)
that pass peer review.

>> Skeptics would not waste their time until someone produces evidence that
impresses them -- that at least passes peer review, but probably it would
need to be more than that.

> Chicken and egg, and this isn't science, it's politics.

Not chicken and egg. There are plenty of CF papers published under peer
review.

> Tell you what, Joshua,

Hey, you've dropped the 3rd person.

[stuff about CR-39]

The results are not convincing and not replicated.

>> I think it's reasonable to use previous knowledge to make reasonable
predictions about certain configurations, and change them when evidence
justifies it. Otherwise, progress would be impossible. I think you said this
yourself.

> Yes. we use previous knowledge, quite precisely, to "make reasonable
predictions," but it is another step to believe in the predictions so
strongly that we discard evidence without due caution, allowing for error in
predictions.

I agree. I'm discarding evidence because it stinks. And because evidence
that smells like roses would be easy to produce if the effect were real.

> […]The evidence was garbled when described by the bureaucrat summarizing,
and I tracked that down to a misunderstanding by the bureaucrat of one of
the reviewers, who likewise clearly misread the report.[…]

And Hagelstein used it in the 2004 report. It seems to me that it was not
explained well, but I'm not sure why, or how that happened. I've heard
researchers say various things about it, but, I could put it this way: they
did not hire experts at communication.

This really says it all. Scientists talking to scientists needing to hire
experts at communication to convey the identification of heat a million
times higher in density than chemical heat. It shows either complete
incompetence at their trade, or more likely, the absence of an effect, or
both.