At 07:17 PM 6/2/2011, Joshua Cude wrote:

> "Reputable scientists" won't even look at the evidence!

Most looked a long time ago,

No. Most never actually looked at it, after enough evidence had accumulated to allow some kind of reasonable decision. That didn't happen until something like the mid 1990s. The rejection happened sooner, before there was adequate evidence, but it was not based on proof of absence, rather on absence of proof. A rejection based on absence of proof must never stand when proof appears; but that's what happens when people become so convinced that they won't look at new evidence -- or deeper analysis of old.

and are satisfied that if the claims (as I put it above) were real, a convincing demo would be a piece of cake to design.

Really? Below I show why that's very wrong. It's not the norm in physics, because physics, as a field, generally deals with highly simplified situations. It's more common in chemistry and even more common in biology. Complex systems can be difficult to set up in fixed, clearly established conditions.

What P13/P14 below showed was an effect that was real, and which, in fact, is reproducible in that similar results are seen by anyone who runs enough cells, but which isn't specifically controllable in such a way as to make it a "piece of cake." At least not then, and my understanding of the field, excepting now, Rossi, if Rossi has really done what he's claimed, is that this situation remains.

I've described a reproducible cold fusion experiment that actually shows strong evidence that the reaction is not only real, it's fusion. It is not a piece of cake, it's *difficult.* But it's quite doable, and it's been done by about a dozen groups. I'm not fully satisfied with how much work has been done, I'd love to see more extensive study, but this is expensive work, and, since I see no particular commercial value coming from it in the near future, who is going to do it?

As pure science, it is surely valuable, but thinking like Joshua's shut that down twenty years ago.

We were talking about cold fusion in general, not Rossi. Rossi could indeed design a "convincing demo," it would indeed be, relatively, a piece of cake. Which is why I'm noting that he has some strong reasons not to do such a demo, and why I'd think that Joshua is doing exactly what Rossi would want. It serves his purposes, commercially.

Rossi is not operating for the advancement of science, he's operating for profit. Now, he might tell himself that, for the greater good, he has to do it this way, and I'm not about to debate that or blame him, I'm just pointing out the obvious: if there is a really convincing demo such that the media are all over him, his competition will gain massive funding, and rapidly, i.e. other researchers in a position to investigate NiH. Do you think the U.S. government would send Rossi a check if Rossi were to do a killer demo?

And then along comes Rossi, and all the advocates are saying *this* is what the field has been waiting for. *This* is finally the demo Rothwell and Mallove had been wishing for. And when you look at the demo, and see that it proves nothing at all, one is forced to conclude that the previous CF demos are even worse.

Which demo? When I saw the reports of the January demo, I wrote to CMNS researchers and practically begged them to not comment on it, because of the consequences if it turned out to be fraud or error. From the January demo, maybe error was still possible, but even then, I was warning about the possibility of fraud. The later reports shifted the situation. Error became quite unlikely and fraud seems unlikely too, for reasons I won't detail now, I've expressed them before. Hence I think Rossi is probably for real. Frankly, there are things about that which I don't like, but so what? The universe does not revolve around what I like and dislike.

Fortunately, actually. It's better than what I'd prefer, that's my general position about myself.

> So Huizenga knew it was important when Miles confirmed helium commensurate with heat. With no gamma rays.

Does Huizenga believe in cold fusion now? No.

Uh, have you asked him such that you can confidently proclaim what he believes? I'm not going to repeat rumors I've heard. I was talking about 1993, almost twenty years ago, when Huizenga was very active still.

> Okay, the experiment that will pull the rug out from under my acceptance of cold fusion: [...]

So, you want a demonstration that heat-helium are not correlated and that exposes the artifact that produces what people interpret as heat.

That's right. A real scientist would simply say that the attempt would be made to confirm or reject the heat-helium correlation and to clarify issues around the various measurements.

The 2nd part of that was done for Focardi, and some people still kept believing, and now after Rossi, I think the doubters believe in Focardi again. So that's not enough.

No, there was a single experiment done that may be interpreted as being something like that, I've studied the paper, but not enough to come to any conclusion about that. I'm talking about someone running many cells, to gain statistical confidence in the results. That's where correlation is determined, you know, not from single measurements. The evidence for cold fusion was always statistical, because of the variability in the results.

There are lots of problems in the field, caused by what were or may be unwarranted assumptions, such as an assumption that there is only one possible reaction. If there is only one possible reaction, then some of the variations make it, again, look like there must be some mistake. I mean, does this thing produce tritium or not?

However, from the heat/helium correlation, it looks like simple PdD through electrolysis does only involve a single reaction which takes deuterium and converts it to helium. So the single experiment would check that.

First of all, set up the FPHE, which would mean that some cells would show apparent excess heat, well above noise, and some would not, reasons unknown. Look, if they all show the same heat, the FPHE, it ain't. *The variability, under those conditions anyway, is a characteristic of the effect!*

But OK, you've given an experiment that would cause you to doubt CF.

You betcha.

It's highly unlikely to happen, because even the people who believe in CF don't seem to be doing quantitative heat-helium experiments.

Not any more. They did them in the 1990s. Look at how much research funding it gained them.

Skeptics would not waste their time until someone produces evidence that impresses them -- that at least passes peer review, but probably it would need to be more than that.

Chicken and egg, and this isn't science, it's politics. Tell you what, Joshua, I'll sit here in my apartment and see if I can generate a few neutrons with some chemicals and some electrolysis. The U.S. Navy, as you know -- that wild-eyed fringe bunch -- has reported them, with experiments that I can put together for what I can afford, which isn't much. Just a few neutrons, mind you. And I'll report what I find, period, and the conclusions will fall where they fall. Unfortunately, there are hundreds of things that might go wrong, even aside from there being no effect to observe. Frankly, however, I just don't see how those tracks the Navy observed could get there, on their CR-39, and I'm not talking about their earlier ordinary charged-particle results, I'm pretty solid with Earthtech that there is reason to strongly suspect chemical damage for that.

I'm talking about triple-tracks on the back, and other tracks on the back, the side away from the cathode, clearly correlated with the cathode position, plenty of them (but only plenty because they are accumulated over maybe three weeks.)

What do you think I'll see, Joshua? Do you have any idea what might be causing those tracks, or do you simply not believe that they saw anything?

By the way, the neutrons tell us nothing about the reaction in the cells, they are not the normal product of FPHE fusion, which appears to be helium and only helium, plus, of course, heat. But what they do, and which was widely recognized when those results were announced, is demonstrate that some nuclear reaction is taking place in the cell.

So you can have fun poking at "believers," imagining that it shows how smart you are. I'll be having fun in a different way.

For you, yours, for me, mine.

>>> And from what I can tell, that's exactly what Rossi wants at this time.

>>Fine. But I if even Rossi agrees that his demos don't give evidence of excess heat, why exactly should I think there is excess heat?

>You shouldn't.

Good. I don't.

> But neither should you think that there is no excess heat, unless you have, yourself, clear evidence that there is not.

Everywhere? I should think there is excess heat in every possible experimental situation?

No, you should not. Have you no sense, Joshua? Isn't it obvious what I'm saying. I'm saying that you should not believe a proposition, which includes "absence," unless you have clear evidence.

I think it's reasonable to use previous knowledge to make reasonable predictions about certain configurations, and change them when evidence justifies it. Otherwise, progress would be impossible. I think you said this yourself.

Yes. we use previous knowledge, quite precisely, to "make reasonable predictions," but it is another step to believe in the predictions so strongly that we discard evidence without due caution, allowing for error in predictions.

> […] What I know is that LENR is possible, that's not in question,

>> Hmm. I thought you said belief like this is not a scientific position. It's religious. […]

Nope. I'm not attached to it.

But you don't question it.

No, I question everything, to some degree or other. Now, this gets interesting:

> To give an idea of what it took, take a look at page 7 of <http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/McKubreMCHcoldfusion.pdf>http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/McKubreMCHcoldfusion.pdf, a graph of results from P13/P14. I must have seen that graph dozens of times before I realized what it implied. Does McKubre really explain it in this slide show?

> No. Nor have I seen him explain it in a way that will convey the point I'll be making. He knows the point, he'll recognize it immediately, I'm sure, but I don't think I've seen it explained by anyone anywhere, except for me, in a few discussions.

[proof of CF because it is not reproducible]

That's his summary, not mine. Lack of easy reproducibility is a presenting characteristic which this set of experiments shows. That's not a proof of fusion, for sure. It's a proof that the effect is an unknown one. The proof of fusion comes in later work correlating the heat, which is variable with each run, with helium produced, which varies with the heat produced.

It is obvious from the analyses presented with the 2004 U.S. DoE report that this evidence didn't sink in. They simply didn't understand it, they did not understand it and then refute it. The evidence was garbled when described by the bureaucrat summarizing, and I tracked that down to a misunderstanding by the bureaucrat of one of the reviewers, who likewise clearly misread the report. It's an amazing little piece of business that those documents show, once looked at carefully.

So, the best evidence you have for CF is from an experiment in 1994, in which the excess heat is a few per cent, in which the author is unable to explain it as convincingly as you can. It seems to be Rothwell's best evidence too since he uses it on his front page.

And Hagelstein used it in the 2004 report. It seems to me that it was not explained well, but I'm not sure why, or how that happened. I've heard researchers say various things about it, but, I could put it this way: they did not hire experts at communication. I've met Hagelstein, and if you asked him the time of day, it seems like he might look at a watch, at his phone, at a wall clock, and then, very quietly, say, "I think it might be about 3:00." It may be an excellent trait in a theoretical physicist, but not necessarily in someone charged with moving the state of politics around cold fusion. People are good at different things. That, in fact, is a good thing. But....

No, this is not the best evidence. Miles is the best evidence, if we want to look at a single report. Heat/helium, and this evidence does show fusion, as a strong conclusion, though fusion only in the sense of fuel/product, not mechanism.

There is some interesting stuff further on, but it will have to wait.