On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Man on Bridges <manonbrid...@aim.com>wrote:

> **
>
> At least in electrical engineering and electronics "we" use the term
> "voltage"; I've sofar never met any electrical engineer who in discussions
> or talks refered to it being "electric tension"

It is an older term (from 1802) that comes from the description of potential
differences as stresses in a medium. It survives mainly in the field of
electrical power transmission. You can still see signs at transformer sites
warning about high tension.  The Cavendish museum has a cockroft-walton
machine in the "high tension laboratory".

Its use is disappearing slowly, but there's no harm in using older terms now
and then for a little color, as long as there is no danger of ambiguity.