----- Original Message -----

According to the old the argument if you were jumping at the equator and stayed
in the air for a second in that time the ground would be expected to move about
1500 hundred feet. If you are wondering why people thought like this, it is
because in aristotelian physics lateral motion could not happen without an
applied force, whereas downward or falling motion was considered natural or
unforced. It was thought a thrown stone would continue to move laterally
because the air would continually rush in behind it and keep pushing it forward.

Harry