On Aug 30, 2011, at 4:52 AM, Jouni Valkonen wrote:

2011/8/30 Horace Heffner <hheff...@mtaonline.net>:
Note especially in RossiThermal2.pdf, in Mode 2, that a mass of between 5 and 10 kg, at initial Mass Temp. of 300*C, provides a 15 minute thermal
decline curve with no nuclear energy involved.

Good thinking, expect that the total metal weight of the E-Cat is ca.
5kg. Perhaps quite bit less. And we still need to worry that
insulation material cannot withstand high temperatures and also the
parts of E-Cat that are in direct contact with water cannot exceed
100°C.

This demonstrates the importance of calculating the thermal resistance of the device, even in this simple model. The temperature of the surface adjacent to the water will be near the temperature of the water. A thermal differential, a gradient, exists between the catalyst surface and the water surface, or heater surface and water surface. The magnitude of the differential is dependent on the thermal resistance of the material. The main thermal mass can be extremely hot provided the thermal resistance is adequate. Of course a finite element analysis would be best, but my simple model hopefully provides much more insight into the problems involved than one can obtain from a non-quantitative discussion.

One of the items clearly identified for discussion by my model is what reasonable values are for the effective thermal resistance of the device. If an assumed set of input data produces an impossible thermal resistance, then the input data can be rejected as self- inconsistent.

Therefore total mass that can store thermal energy (i.e.
heating element or the core) cannot weight more than 500 grams.

On what do you base this claim? All the mass of the device is involved.

Therefore I suggest you slight revision of calculations.

–Jouni

It appears you are suggesting a revision of the input data. If you provide numbers for Mass, Thermal Power (before shutoff), Inlet Temp., Mass Temp., and Inlet Flow then I will then be happy to provide the corresponding data.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/