On Aug 30, 2011, at 6:02 AM, Jouni Valkonen wrote:

Horace wrote: «If you provide numbers for Mass, Thermal Power (before shutoff), Inlet Temp., Mass Temp., and Inlet Flow then I will then be happy to provide the corresponding data.»

Perhaps 500 grams was too small value. I re-estimated that if the outer volume of core chamber is 50cc, then perhaps 2kg is maximum value for thermal mass in the core. But we know very few details. The copper tubing does not contain much thermal mass, as it is in contact with steam/water, thus temperature is less than 100°C. Anyways my estimationes.

The mass of the core (for storing thermal energy) 500g-2kg.
Max core temperature 1000°C
Thermal power 2-3kW
Inlet: 25°C / 5kg/h
Steam overpressure: 3.2 kPa.

Notice that if core temperature is high (such as during the power surge in 18h experiment), then only small portion of the core is in that temperature, but there is temperature gradient. However it is unlikely that core temperature is high during normal operation. Unfortunately we (or I?) do not have any data what is the core temperature in normal operation.

But it is odd that we discuss this because all Rossi's reactors are currently selfsustaining indefinitely, because he can manage them adjusting hydrogen pressure and cooling water inflow rate.

—Jouni

Ps. I do not know what model of E-Cat we are talking about. Does we have pictures? Or is it just some mythical test what was seen by nobody.

You are providing the input data so you should know which test you are talking about. Jed says the first test.

In any case I provided some output based on your range of inputs:

http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/RossiThermal3.pdf

Mode 1 was all at 0.83 gm/s, Mode 2 was at 1.94 gm/s. I added some data at 748 W and 1000 just to consider no nuclear heat options. Based on the input values a 15 minute decay is only feasible in the low water flow conditions. It is also feasible that 748 W input, similar to Krivit's video test, could produce 15 minutes of steam at 2 kg mass. However, this might imply too high a thermal resistance to be feasible.

It would be interesting to run Jed's numbers, if there is a reasonable thermal mass number available.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/