If the theory that Rossi uses one of the Mills catalysts as his secret
sauce: i.e. lithium and/or potassium, air contamination would form a
nitride. This catalyst would act as a getter of nitrogen, the primary
constituent of air being around 80% of its volume.

More generally, I believe that the Rossi reaction is really a reworked and
reformatted Mills reaction. In point of fact, it is caused by Rydberg matter
formation in contradiction to Mills thinking. Nitrogen is one of the
elements that can produce Rydberg matter and would not therefore degrade the
Rossi reaction.

Since the Piantelli reaction does not use a Mills catalyst, nitrogen would
degrade that reaction.