In 1908, the Wright brothers ignited the first modern worldwide media frenzy
by demonstrating the airplane. They were soon feted by Royalty in Europe,
and by the president in the White House. They were in the headlines for
months. They flew in front of a million people in New York City in 1909. Air
races soon began, and aviators become international celebrities.

Meanwhile . . . in small towns across America, many people thought it was
all a gigantic hoax. They thought that airplanes are impossible, and the
news stories were bunk. They resembled the people today who think the moon
landings were staged, and the airplanes that crashed into the buildings on
9/11 were holograms.

Around 1912, an aviator came to a town in the U.S. with an airplane crated
up in the express freight car. He wanted to do a demonstration, and charge
admission. The sheriff soon came to him and said: "Son, you better take the
next train out of town. A crowd is gathering to tar and feather you for
fraud. You can't fool these honest country folk with your big-city hoax."

That really happened, although I embellished the dialog . . . Anyway, let's
imagine I am standing out in a field with one of those stalwart sons of the
soil, and an airplane flies over.

ME: Look, an airplane! It must be 1,000 feet up! What did I tell you?

SKEPTIC: It is *not* 1,000 feet up! No way. I am an expert in trigonometry,
and I assure you, it is no more than 635 feet.

ME: Okay, but it is way up there.

SKEPTIC: Look, you just made an error of more than 300 feet. A 300 foot
error! That's 635 feet plus or minus 300 feet, so as far as you know, it
could be only 335 feet high. Make another error like that, and it could be
on the ground.

ME: But, but . . . it was right up there. It can't be that far down . . .

SKEPTIC: You don't know how far up or down! You can't say with any
precision. If you don't know exactly how high it is, you can't prove it was
up in the air at all. Look at Heffner's analysis. He shows the COP might
even be negative. For all you know, that airplane might be 100 feet under
the ground. Without precision measurements and the proper instruments, you
have nothing.

ME: But we saw it!

SKEPTIC: Let's not talk about what *you* saw. Let's talk about what I know,
as an expert in trigonometry. I assure you, that airplane could not have
been more than 653 feet, 4 inches, and 5 sixteenths of an inch. Since I can
determine that with such precision and authority, I must be an expert and I
must be right, so the airplane might actually be on the ground.

Estimating the height from observations, first principles and common sense
is junk science! You cannot know anything unless you look at how the
thermovoltage
will be partially shorted. This is VERY obvious. You have to look at "fine"
sources of errors, and unknown errors. You haven't even considered the issue
of thermal electroosmose.

Not only that, but there is a huge difference between a crude flying machine
and a real means of transportation. Rossi claims he will sell his products
soon, actually they are not usable yet, they are technologically immature.

Yes, that sounds ridiculous. But it is no more ridiculous than the assertion
that 30 L of water in a poorly insulated metal box can boil for 4 hours with
no source of energy, while you add another 60 L of cold water. (Or 30 L, or
10, or 5 if you like!)

If you accept the eyewitness accounts that the power was off; that the box
remained hot; water at a visible flow rate emerged from it; and it was so
hot it burned someone three hours later, then either you accept that it was
producing kilowatt levels of heat internally, or you are a scientific
illiterate. This does not rule out fraud, but fraud is about as plausible as
the notion that the airplane flying by in 1912 was actually suspended on a
steel cable. How would you get the cable so far up with no visible means of
support? Fraud is more implausible than a real reaction would be.