> It can be determined that the probe measuring T2 is not in thermal contact
> with the heat sink attached to the core modules.  This observation is
> clearly revealed by the following logic.  At Mats Lewan’s October test
> time of 13:38 we first see output in the secondary loop of the heat
> exchanger.  This is indicated by the rise in Tout (23.7 C to 26.3 C) as
> compared to the previous values.  It is well known that output cannot be
> obtained at the heat exchanger unless the water within the ECAT is boiling.
> This requires a temperature of greater than 100 C.  Also, we have
> established that some form of check valve is in series with the output water
> flow which further increases the required temperature.  The pressure would
> not be sufficient to open the valve ahead of this point in time.
> The data from Mats’ report shows that the T2 reading at 13:38 is 94.8 C.  We
> predict that this is not accurate and is displaying a value that is too low.
> My suspicion is that the reading is being influenced by the conduction of a
> measurable amount of heat energy along the probe to the outside case of the
> ECAT which has not been heated significantly as of that point in time.  Also,
> we can be assured that the probe is not in contact with the heat sink fins
> since they are the source of the heat for the water.  The temperature of
> this heat sink must be greater than the temperature of the water in order
> for heat to flow from it.

The environment inside the reactor veseel would have a partial pressure of
steam of about 0.85bar at 95°C, this steam will act to very rapidly heat
anything within the reactor vessel to exactly the same temperatures (acting
as a heat pipe) through the action of condensation, though it would be
possible for dry surfaces to be hotter (superheating absorbs a releatively
tiny amount of energy per degree of temperature change comapred to
vaporisation).  I therefore think your hypothesis of overflow is much more
likely than that the thermocouple is under-reading.

However another possiblity is that there is a significant opening from the
reactor.  While it is a reasonable surmise that there is a pressure relief
valve given the way the reactor was emptied in the video from Sept demo, we
still don't know don't know for sure, and it seems rather curious that the
temp/pressure seems to get up to 2 bar gauge in the Sept test and 1.35bar in
the Oct 6th test.  It may instead simply be a small orifice.  If steam does
flow from the vessel to the heat exchanger (be it an orifice or a slightly
leaky or non-ideal relief valve) then condensation would lead to a large
flow of heat energy as the condensing steam casues a partial vacuum and is
continually replaced.