We should not forget though that there is a gap here between input and
output and that is what happens inside the e-cat. It is not just some
mysterious process inside the lattice but everything that happens inside
the black box.
In normal circumstances we would be able to see what is inside the box and
take it apart but we are not allowed to do so.
We could trust Rossi in claiming that the box is not rigged, that there are
no tricks, but we cannot do that on face value (beside as a playful but not
very satisfactory exercise).
To be honest it is easier to invoke human nature, deviating behavior,
trickery than to accept, on the basis of what is given to us, new physics.
New physics would be the inevitable answer if we could eliminate without a
shade of a doubt any other (and simpler) explanation involving fraud and
scam.
Believing me I would be the first one to be so happy and excited if new
physics would one day would be the only possibility for the e-cat.
But I would rather err on the safe side (given Rossi behavior and history)
 and be pleasantly surprised than bitterly disappointed and heart broken by
a unscrupulous and antisocial individual.
Giovanni
Giovanni