Robert Leguillon <robert.leguil...@hotmail.com> wrote:

"Adding the heat initially with a gas fire produces the same results as
> adding it with an electric heater."
>
> Jed,
> Do you really not understand the difference, here?  Using an external gas
> heat vs. An internal heater is absolutely crucial to the argument of stored
> heat.

I was assuming that nearly all of the heat is stored in water, and that
heat stored in the core is insignificant because it is metal, and most
metals have about 10 times lower specific heat than water. I was leaving
out the core altogether. I assume that adding any kind of simulated core
will only make the thing cool down faster.

HOWEVER, if you want to do this test, and you feel the core is important,
you should simulate it. That may mean you heat it up a core separately and
then immerse it in the liquid. Or you put electric heaters into the core,
similar to the ones Rossi uses, and then heat the whole thing for a few
hours until the water boils. I am not sure what material would be a good
choice. Metal, rather than a brick.

This would not make the experiment significantly more complicated, so why
not? Go for it.

> Conversely, an internal heater would necessarily be more than 100C. If
> there were a slow thermal transfer between the core and the water, as is
> demonstrated by the input power prior to the onset of boiling, the core
> could elevate to much higher temperatures, and continue releasing that
> stored heat, slowly decreasing temperature after power is removed. A 500C
> core and 300C core both produce ~100C water and some amount of steam.

I knew that, but as I said, I figured a 500 deg C metal core would have
less thermal mass than an equivalent mass of water at 100 deg C. Even by
volume, nothing holds more heat than water, as far as I know.

It would be unrealistic to make the simulated core more than 500 deg C. I
do not think Rossi's electric heaters can make it hotter than that.