On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Charles Hope <lookslikeiwasri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Are there any examples of pathological science persisting 20 years without
>> being properly debunked?
>

> Not to my knowledge. Unless you count things like water memory, which may
> be real after all, and acupuncture and chiropractic, which seem to work.

It's probably the case that most pseudo-sciences that survive 20 years or
more are likely to maintain some following indefinitely, and so may not be
considered debunked until adherents disappear by attrition. Evidently
Blondlott continued to be convinced of N-rays until his death. And
perpetual motion will likely have adherents for a long time.

If by "pathological" you mean sciences not accepted (or rejected outright)
by mainstream science, then there are very clearly *many* examples that
have persisted far longer than 20 years, including perpetual motion,
homeopathy (and other alternative medical treatments), and any paranormal
or religious claims like astrology or scientology or creationism
(intelligent design). Global warming denialism might also fit some
characteristics of pathological science.

Straight chiropractic based on vitalism also fits the pathological bill,
although most chiropractors try to distance themselves from vitalism, and
have found some legitimacy in the mainstream; after all, massage and
certain exercises (physiotherapy) are undoubtedly beneficial. Acupuncture
has also found some mainstream support, but conclusive evidence of efficacy
is still not established, and the concept of meridians and qi is not
scientifically accepted. It's very difficult in the case of acupuncture to
do blank controls; you know when someone sticks a needle in you.

There are not very many examples like cold fusion, where a rather simple
non-paranormal phenomenon, claimed in a controlled experiments, is rejected
for decades by the mainstream, but still maintains a substantial following.
Perpetual motion is the obvious similar example, and it has in common with
cold fusion, the profound implications for the betterment of mankind.
Perhaps water dowsing is another, although that is often considered
paranormal as well. Alien sightings are not considered paranormal
(usually), but are not results of controlled experiments.

> Are there any examples of new science remaining on the fringe for 20 years
>> before being finally accepted into the mainstream?
>>

> Genetics, photography and semiconductors. See:
>
> http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJcomparison.pdf
>
> Countless others, such as electric motors, incandescent lights and and
> calculators took decades to be developed. They were considered
> laboratory curiosities with no future and no practical value.

Taking decades to develop does not mean the principles or the basis were
rejected by the mainstream. None of those examples are now,nor were they
ever considered pathological or pseudoscientific.