Peter Gluck <peter.gl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And the kamikaze were lead by a very peculiar rationality.

A horrible business. For insight into it, see the book "I was a Kamikaze"
by Ruiji Nagatsuka, and "Blossoms in the Wind: Human Legacies of the
Kamikaze," by M.G. Sheftall. I know some pilots in the Imperial Japanese
Army who would have ended up was Kamikaze pilots if the war had gone
on. They were rational people. Not fanatics. As rational as you or I, which
should give everyone pause. There, but for the grace of God . . .

I do not think the act was so extreme. I think that if the United States
had been on the verge of defeat by Nazi Germany, our soldiers and pilots
would have taken equally extreme suicidal measures if they thought there
was some chance of success. The fact is, the first kamikaze attacks were
effective from a military point of view. They killed far more Americans
than Japanese. If the success rate had been maintained, they could have
wiped out the US Navy at the cost of a few thousand pilots, which is a
"favorable exchange rate" in the grim jargon of the military.

The US Navy quickly developed effective countermeasures. After the first
few hundred attacks, there was no longer any chance of stopping the
invasion by this method, so the later attacks were pointless.