-----Original Message-----
From: mix...@bigpond.com

>There are secondary nuclear reactions but most of the energy gain is from
accelerated protons.

> Robin: This implies close proximity between proton and target nucleus.

Yes. That is essentially the gist of combining Miley/Holmlid with Lawandy.
However, one does not need to subscribe to the full extent of either model.
One can combine the two with adjustments.

> However if such a proximity exists, then there is no reason a conventional
fusion reaction would not take place.

You are overlooking one huge reason.

When there is negative binding energy between the two particles, fusion
cannot take place. What happens next, in that case is open to
interpretation, but there is a known example to go on - neutrons.

> Besides which, you posit Coulomb force repulsion *after* strong force
attraction, but this makes no sense, because the strong force goes as the
sixth power of distance whereas the Coulomb force goes as the second power,
so once the strong force gains the upper hand, it retains control.

Well, it makes perfect sense because the strong force is known to operate
only in one vector. It is the same thing when two neutrons come together.
There is negative binding energy, and fusion cannot take place - yet the
strong force brings them together and they immediately separate - EVEN
WITHOUT COLOUMB repulsion (other than near-field).

In short, my model combines the high energy of proton acceleration,
following a strong force attraction scenario - in situations where there is
negative binding energy and Coulomb repulsion. It is based on the neutron
model.

Jones