Hi,
[snip]

You were talking about protons. I can think of only two examples where the
binding energy of a proton is negative.

1. Protium.
2. Helium.

(There may be a few more, e.g. very neutron poor isotopes, which are radioactive
to either positron decay or electron capture, with a very short half life.)

>> Besides which, you posit Coulomb force repulsion *after* strong force
>attraction, but this makes no sense, because the strong force goes as the
>sixth power of distance whereas the Coulomb force goes as the second power,
>so once the strong force gains the upper hand, it retains control.
>
>Well, it makes perfect sense because the strong force is known to operate
>only in one vector.

Really? That's news to me. Perhaps you could provide a reference?

>It is the same thing when two neutrons come together.
>There is negative binding energy, and fusion cannot take place - yet the
>strong force brings them together and they immediately separate - EVEN
>WITHOUT COLOUMB repulsion (other than near-field).

IMO there is no strong force between neutrons, nor between protons. This neatly
explains why neither the dineutron not Helium2 are stable.
[snip]
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk