Right,
at that level of development, buying one of this device "as-is" is only a
kind of partnership (if honest),
like "the client" and NI are (supposed to be) doing, or an expensive way to
check if it works. otherwise it is a way to make retro-engineering.
but one is only needed.

another interpretation of the buying of 12 copy of e-cat, is that they buy
them  "as they will be soon". a "buy in advance".
once you know it can work, you can trust the job to be done better.