you are right scientist would love to search on LENR.
Some did it officially and got black listed by their administration and the
community afraid of the press reactions, thus of politicians and citizen
(furious of fund waste)
Some did is officiously and keep the results in drawaer
Some did it in a big organisation, quite tolerant and not supervizing too
much (Nasa, spawar) provided it is not mediatic... when it get mediatic
they had to stop.

big corp would love to make LENR work. some even tried really, but failed
and were de-funded after

the problem in my opinion is the media blocus on LENR...
all other actors (scientists, gov, corp) did what they could in the real
mediatic world...

most people don't know more about LENR that the official "it is a fraud".

seeing how people will accepte the blocus of the past will be fun/sad to
see...
probably the media will put the blame on innocents, as usual. after all
they control the official truth.