At 01:03 PM 1/24/2012, Alan J Fletcher wrote:
IR is a good idea. Weren't there some IR movies of FP cathodes? How many cameras would one need (I'm not sure I'd trust a mirror). The field-of-view could include a few reference temperatures : ice, boiling, calibrated heater element.

If you put two cyclindrical Hyperions side by side, separated by a couple of feet, I think you could get full surface coverage with 6 IR cameras (Viewed end-on Top,Bottom,Left,Right radially plus one axially at each end: Front,Back).