At 10:57 AM 1/24/2012, Jed Rothwell wrote:
The problem with flow calorimetry with this system is that the working fluid is not water but high temperature glycol or something similar. You could measure the temperature of the fluid, but you can't just run it through the machine and dump it down the drain. So the starting temperature will rise. That is, the glycol reservoir temperature will rise.

The commercial unit has a primary glycol cooling loop, a heat exchanger, and a secondary water cooling loop. That's complicated! You can do calorimetry on it, of course. But that's a lot of equipment. It is a large mass of material, with many things happening in it, pumps pumping and whatnot. The skeptics would have a field day. Alan Fletcher could think of dozens of ways to fake that. For a scientific test, especially in the first round, I prefer the "naked" reactor approach with isoperibolic calorimetry

Keep it simple.

As far as I can tell, isoperibolic (I haven't found a formal definition of the term yet -- what the heck IS a peribole?) calorimetry assumes that the entire system being tested is fully enclosed in the calorimeter.

How do you ensure that the SINGLE internal/external thermometers (on the walls of the kernel) are representative of the temperatures as a whole? (See my two-heating-resistor fake)

Particularly, since the heating resistor and "thermalization zone" are presumably in different locations?

We haven't even seen a diagram of the single-kernel hyperion. Is it tube-like, with radial symmetry?