Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

 Good point. But this was 50 years to adapt chemically - in order to merely
> survive.****
>
> ** **
>
> It would surely take much longer to adapt in such a way as to actually
> derive excess energy from D2O. . .

Sure. Millions of years, I suppose, assuming it can be done at all.

Rossi's results and the other Ni-H results make me think cold fusion must
be possible with many metals, but that does not mean it is necessarily
possible in biology, or that it can happen spontaneously in nature as in
the Oklo fission reactor. There are many phenomena that cannot occur in
biology. There are biological batteries in electric eels, and
light receivers such as the eye, but I doubt there are any biological radio
detectors, or radars.

But who knows? Biology is capable of amazing things that are still beyond
our understanding. For example, coral reefs across the Pacific manage to
coordinate the release of eggs and sperm to a single night. Mushrooms
detect gravity. I have some edible mushrooms growing out of the side of a
box that I got for Christmas. You have spray them every day. They grow out
the side and then up. If you turn the box upside-down, they reverse
direction, and grow up again.

Even if our species lasts for millions of years into the future, I doubt
that we will ever fully understand the workings of any species, even E.
coli.