Guys, can you please move any further discussion about web-tools to
vortex-B???

-Mark

From: OrionWorks - Steven Vincent Johnson [mailto:orionwo...@charter.net]
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 5:35 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: RE: [Vo]:Requesting recommendations on Web Authoring tools &
animation generation packages

Jed,

I downloaded XAMPP and eventually unzipped the contents onto a thumb drive.
I think running XAMPP on a thumb drive will make it possible to run my own
portable test server wherever I go.

I haven't run my own web server since the 1990s. I'm sure a lot of things
have changed since then, particularly security issues.

If I execute the xampp-control.exe control program and start up the apache
server (and MYSQL) I noticed that this inserts an XAMPP server icon in my
window's system tray. Ok, standard operation procedure. ;-) I can access
http://localhost and see that XAMPP is running. Success!

Ok, so far, so good. However, if I attempt to shut down the XAMPP server it
seems shut down my entire household network. In no time my wife lets me know
that she can't access her favorite web site where she has been posting
messages... and what the hell have I done to the network this time!

So far the only way I can get the household network up and running again
(that is, after I attempt to shut down the XAMPP service) is to restart both
my modem and wireless Lynksys router. That seems to clear up the
communication problem. I suspect (I hope) my current approach is fixing the
problem with a sledge hammer. Are you aware of a less brutal way of shutting
down the XAMPP server while leaving a home network unscathed?

Just curious.

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson

www.OrionWorks.com