2012/3/30 Jouni Valkonen <jounivalko...@gmail.com>:
> Quite nice video. This kind of video however is very easy to do as frame by
> frame animation. It may require a lot of algorithmic work, but it is not
> that difficult to do. There were more photorealistic antigravity nazi-ufos
> in the Iron Sky movie!
>
> There was speculation that it was based on antigravity. Antigravity however
> is not physically plausible, because 90% reduction in inertia would wreak a
> havoc in cellular chemistry that cannot work properly without proper levels
> of inertia. Therefore antigravity, i.e. making the aircraft lightweight, is
> not practical way to travel.

I don't think this is true.  At the scale of molecular chemistry
gravity has pretty much no effect.  If you look at molchem simulations
you'll see they never take gravity into consideration.  I remember a
whole sleuth of ISS experiments confirming that most living things do
just fine in low/no gravity.  It's just us big creatures that start to
turn to mush... afaik that's only a problem if you try to return to
earth ;)

> Antigravity could be done in principle perhaps if craft can be shielded from
> Earth's gravity, although it does not sound very plausible. But reducing the
> craft's inertia is just not possible. I think that even electronics must be
> separately adapted to smaller levels of inertia, and drastic reduction of
> inertia could even destroy molecular and perhaps even nuclear bonds in
> materials.

Remember that gravity is the weakest of all the forces.  If you're
sending something into space where you'll be doing microgravity
experiments, I think the only thing you need to do with regards to
electronics is radiation harden them.  As for other materials, I just
don't think gravity has any effect.  (I'm assuming we're not talking
about neutron star or black hole gravity).

Also I'd like to add, and anyone feel free to comment on this, since
gravity is essentially the curvature of spacetime it should be
conservative: e.g. no shielding.  Unless you have another ider...

-X