Jouni Valkonen <jounivalko...@gmail.com> wrote:

There is one thing good to remember that we are not living nowhere near
> laissez-faire capitalism. If any company would be exposed in any attempt to
> hinder the development of viable cold fusion technology, it would
> considered the worst economic crime in the history. And it would lead into
> huge monetary penalties and compensations.

Never! Not in the U.S. Corporations do this sort of thing all the time.
There are no laws against bad mouthing the competition, or tell the public
or the Congress that your competition's product is inferior. As I said, the
coal industry has a vigorous PR program to tell the public that wind
turbines do not work, they are a waste of money, they kill birds, and they
should be made illegal. The coal and oil industry spend millions telling
people that global warming does not exist or that it is not caused by CO2.
Every Republican member of Congress and candidate for president agrees with
them.

It is difficult for people in other countries to realize how strong the
anti-science, anti-intellectual trend is in the U.S. We have never been an
intellectual country. We have never had much respect for scholars or
scientists, or "eggheads" as they used to be called. Lately, however, the
antipathy has risen to heights not seen since the 1950s, just before the
Sputnik scare. Eventually, this will die down, but a present any Republican
who admitted that global warming might be real, or even that the world is
older than 6,000 years old and Darwin might be right, will be booted out of
office. 68% of Republican voters believe in creationism, along with 40% of
the U.S. public.

In his book, Obama said clearly that he believes in evolution, but I have
never heard him say that in public, and I would advise him not to. Why
alienate 40% of the voters?

I am sure the oil companies will tell the public and Congress that cold
fusion is nuclear, it is probably dangerous, it produces neutrons, it is
unproven, it can never be scaled up, and so on. That is what the skeptics
have been saying all along: "even if it is true it will never work." I
expect that every member of the Republican party will agree with them, just
as they agree about global warming, and just as they all agreed that BP was
victimized by the Obama administration when it paid a huge fine after the
spill. Those people are predictably anti-science and in favor of
established industry. The fight will probably fall along party lines in the
U.S.

> E.g. it would be considered as stock exchange rate manipulation, that is
> already one of the most severely punished crimes.

This is definitely not stock market manipulation. Especially if it done
publicly with advertisements on TV and "contributions" to members of
Congress (bribery) -- as I am sure it will be.

Also you cannot make something a crime after the fact. In the U.S. that
violates the Constitution. There is no law against lying about cold fusion,
or any other physics or chemistry. People do it all the time, in every
major newspaper! Also any such law would violate freedom of the press.

In any case, no tobacco executive was ever convicted of a crime; no
executive was convicted in the Dalkon Shield scandal which rendered
thousands of women infertile or in pain; and no one from Wall Street went
to jail after the 2008 crash. You can steal, rape and murder all you like
in the U.S. as long as you are working for a corporation. As one judge said
to the Dalkon executives, if a street gang had gone around doing this to
thousands of women, they would be in prison for the rest of their lives,
but we have to let you off. The company did have to pay into a trust fund
for victims.

This kind of suppression would also be impossible to keep inside a company
> . . .

I am sure they will make it as public as they can. Companies do not hide
their attacks on global warming. The coal companies kill 20,000 people a
year from particulate pollution. They do not hide that fact. They
practically brag about it at stockholders meetings. They call it "keeping
down costs by sticking to tried and true technology" meaning they can't be
bothered to install scrubbers that would add a fraction of a penny per
kilowatt hour.

> We must remember that the economic value of the knowledge on cold fusion
> technology is billions of dollars . . .

Trillions. And that is why it is likely to succeed despite opposition.

It all depends on the public. If the public can be educated and made
enthusiastic in favor of it, then the oil companies and other opponents
will be swept aside. The main message we want to tell the public is that
this breakthrough will save you $2000 a year per person. People don't care
about the environment. They don't believe in science . . .  really, most of
them hate it. But they also hate oil companies and OPEC. When you tell them
the oil companies want to rip you off for $2000 a year indefinitely, they
will be angry. They will demand the Congress fund the research and allow
the technology. That is our best hope. Maybe our only hope.

If the public continues to believe the anti-cold fusion propaganda that has
saturated the mass media since 1989, then we will lose, and this technology
will never see the light of day.