I wrote:

> If you were to change the laws in the US, and you offered a $10 bounty for
> the heads of women and children, I am certain you would find hundreds of
> thousands of people who would gleefully go around chasing down, shooting
> and decapitating innocent people and bayoneting small children. . . .
>

> Believe me, *we could end doing that* in 10 years. If you doubt that you
> have learned nothing from the 20th century.

Or the 19th century. You may think that sounds like a dystopian fantasy
that could never happen in the U.S. In fact, 40 years before the Japanese
army went on a rampage and killed 23 million Chinese people, the U.S. army
and many ranchers still had a policy of killing off native Americans for a
bounty, including women and children. They did not decapitate them; they
scalped them. As Col. Chivington put it: "Kill and scalp all, big and
little; nits make lice."

See also the Atlanta race riots in 1906 and the book "The Warmth of Other
Suns."

It is a huge mistake to think that we can never go backwards, and we can
never revert to the barbaric standards of the past. The Germans, Russians
and Japanese did in the 20th century. Okay, it is not likely that the U.S.
a generation now will be in some lurid science fiction scenario, like the
movie "The Hunger Games" or a world in which it is again okay to kill off
Native Americans or black people.

On the other hand, we have just seen the most important scientific
discovery in history ruthlessly suppressed for 23 years because of petty
academic politics and greed. Did anyone think that could happen here? What
else might have been going on? Did anyone imagine how much money Wall
Street was stealing and squandering before the 2008 crash? Read about the
problems BP oil installations had, culminating in the Gulf accident. Look
at the Fukushima disaster. Many terrible things have happened, and many
more could happen, because of greed, stupidity, hate and barbarism.

My point is not that we should fear what might happen, or give up hope.
Never! The point is, don't be sanguine. Never assume you have nothing to
worry about. Be prepared!

I expect there will be an orchestrated barrage of opposition against cold
fusion, far greater than anything we have witnessed in the last 23 years,
backed by countless millions of dollars. So far we have been fighting off
washed-up academic hacks such as Huizenga and nitwits such as The Amazing
Randi. These people have little power and no money. They are stupid. Soon
we will be fighting every conservative politician in Washington and many
liberals as well, because they are equal-opportunity shills for big oil.
They will denounce cold fusion in return for campaign contributions. They
will keep doing that until they sense the public is on our side.

I anticipate the biggest political battle in the history of technology. . .
. Okay, maybe that will not come to pass. Perhaps I will be pleasantly
surprised. But we should be prepared for the worst. We should think about
how we will deal with it, and how we can win.