Michele Comitini wrote:

Offshore could be an option.

You mean, an offshore hydrogen explosion would not be such a big deal. Good point.

Actually, the danger of hydrogen has been overstated ever since the Hindenburg disaster. Not that I would want people going up in hydrogen lighter-than-air aircraft, but I don't see any harm in sending up machinery.

British WWII barrage balloons were inflated with hydrogen. There were around 3,000 of them. I do not think they exploded often. They were an effective means of defense against low level air attacks. They flew at a maximum height of 1,500 m.