This is a
personal assessment of the issue, and basically nothing new.
So you just
can skip that, without loosing anything.

LENR -for me- is easily the most challenging issue I encountered in my lifetime.

Blacklight
Power, Nanospire, Brillouin, Rossi, Defkalion, the Academics.

There may
be good reasons to reject any single of them, but in total the field is akin to
the mythical elephant, where everyone touches part of the 'truth', and
does not know about the 'whole'.

Is there an
elephant at all?

Now we have
two recent relevant developments:
a) the
students at MIT and the freshmen at  Pirelli University, who -ahem- naively
replicate the phenomenon.
b)
Defkalion (ignoring Rossi from my side, and others), who claim to have a
commercial device.

Theorists
and our highly esteemed archivar/thinker Jed  are mostly ignored by
conventional 'wisdom'.

---------
This poses
substantial questions about the quest for truth, the scientific method, and
my/our
personal mental sanity.

If eg I am
'insane', I cannot question the scientific method, or raise questions about the
nature of 'truth'.

On the
other hand, if I consider myself  'sane',the scientific method is a relevant
target, and 'truth' is an easy one, because we cannot know 'it' anyway.

So it is
all about the method of consensus-construction, may it be the scientific method
of interpersonal verification, or a construction of beliefs.

Religion does not make anything ‘real’ in the physical sense.

LENR is a
physical phenomenon, ofcourse.

It is
seemingly challenged by the lack of interpersonal verification,or the lack of
it.
On the other hand
the nonbelievers the holders of conventional wisdom refuse to accept 'fringe'
evidence as
'real' evidence.

Now what is 'evidence'?
Interesting question, right?
Cause and effect.
Acutally we have at least THREE indeterminates in the equation:
a) who is a person? not Your mentally disturbed everyday idiot, who sees UFOs
every night

b) what is a cause? This is a an infinite web of relationships.

c) what is an evidence? This is what we see/measure. By what instruments? 'We'
invent them.

We are in a pityful diffuse situation here, not a mathematically clear one..

Now LENR is
far above Homeopathy and such, right up to challenging the central scientific
dogma of interpersonal verificiation.

What does
that mean?

Just asking.