OrionWorks - Steven V Johnson <svj.orionwo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Based on conversations I've had with him over the years, not in a
> million trillion gillion years would I EVER expect him to, on his own
> reconnaissance, give a single proposal related to a "CF" project the
> light of the day.

Such people are ubiquitous in the scientific establishment. They are a dime
a dozen. THAT is why cold fusion has not been funded, and why it has made
such little progress. It is not because there is a conspiracy against it,
or the oil companies or plasma fusion people oppose it. It is not because
Fleischmann and Pons held a press conference on the day they published
their paper. That's silly; plasma fusion people hold a press conference the
day they do a run. They publish a paper months later, or years later, or
never.

In my opinion, most of the reasons proposed to explain the opposition do
not hold water. They apply as much to other fields as the do to cold
fusion.

It is simple. Scientists tend to be conservative people. Most of them are
unimaginative and opposed to progress. Most of them do not want to see
anything that upsets the applecart or makes their own training obsolete.
See also the quote from Tolstoy that Mallove used in closing his book.
Scientists have a reputation for embracing new ideas, but it is undeserved.
It is a myth. People also believe that programmers, venture capitalists,
and businessmen embrace new ideas, but the ones I know are no more inclined
to do this than any other group, such as farmers or cooks.

People everywhere, in all walks of life, tend to be conservative, cautious,
and afraid of novelty. They stick to what works. They hate the thought of
trying anything new. I believe this is human nature. Occasionally, you meet
someone who loves to try new things and has "overdeveloped curiosity" as
someone said of Darwin. Most of the time, to most of us normal folks, these
people are pests. They waste time. They ask too many questions and try too
many things that don't work. They are like Mizuno: they cause explosions,
their labs are a god-awful mess, and their grad students don't graduate
because they get caught up in Improbable Research that Seldom Pans
Out. When children act this way in school, the parents and teachers usually
bat them down. Nowadays they force feed the kids drugs to combat "attention
deficit disorder" -- a newly invented illness the symptoms of which happen
to correspond to the way every intelligent child I have known reacts to
conventional pedagogy. If we had these drugs back in 1910, van Neumann
would never have published a paper at 17 or gotten a PhD at 23. He would
have been well adjusted. He would not have crashed a car every year, or
piled up large numbers of speeding tickets paid by IBM, or amicably
divorced his wife when she found a new boyfriend just when he found a new
girlfriend. He would not have played loud German marching band music on
the gramophone at the Institute for Advanced Study, driving Einstein and
the others batty, or brought in dozens of unwashed engineers to build a
computer in the basement of the Institute, even though everyone else hated
the idea and though computers were vulgar toys. (After he died, they tossed
out the computer and did not allow another one until someone brought in a
386 personal computer in mid-1980s.)

The Chinese dissident Chen Guangcheng is another example of a pain in the
butt. A terribly annoying person! He keeps changing his mind, changing his
tune and making impossible demands on the U.S. government. He expects to be
given a ride on the plane with Sec. Clinton. He expects her to change the
meeting itinerary and deal with him and his personal problems. The thing
is, this guy is challenging a tyrannical communist dictatorship despite the
fact that he has no political power, no money, he is blind, self-educated,
and he knows better than anyone that the authorities might lose their
patience at any moment and beat him and his family to death. He makes
ridiculous demands on the U.S. government because that is what he does in
life. He makes even more outlandish demands on the Chinese government --
that they should stop oppressing people. Ask yourself: What kind of person
would act that way? Answer: A very unusual person. A person with no sense
of danger, no sense that he is powerless, or that he is trying to
accomplish the impossible. Someone with tremendous self confidence. Someone
like, say, Rossi, Fleischmann, or Mizuno. In other words, a crazy person
who is *annoying* and *will not shut up*. A person who, if he dropped by
your house for a day, would stay for a month and use up all the towels
every time he took a shower. He will impose on Sec. Clinton or anyone else
because his movement and his needs come first. It is no wonder the Chinese
government is fed up with him and wants him gone.

I understand the conservative mindset. In most aspects of life, I myself am
a stick in the mud. I like to eat the same kind of food and do the same
thing day in, day out. As Martin Fleischmann says, we are painfully
conventional people. It just happens than in a few selected areas of life,
we like to experiment and try out new ideas. I am crazy about new gadgets
that barely work, but have fantastic potential, such as microcomputers in
1979 and cold fusion today. Once we get it to work, I lose interest.