Jed:

The leap too far point is incorrect.  That had little to do with the
shuttle's issues.

The main problem was that it was designed to be everything.  A truck, a
car, a lab all rolled into one.  You wouldn't design a passenger carrier
and add a large truck carrier to it.  It makes both complicated.

The energetics to take humans to orbit is significantly less then taking
40,000 lb payloads.

The whole thing was incompetently designed to do all things for all
people, because there was no will at the time for multiple projects.  That
was it's big problem.  Now maybe that added complexity which you point out
but it was a process problem not a technology problem.

Ransom