In the quantum world of the crack, one concept that needs a place at the
table is Luttinger liquids.

This concept has recently been established as a fundamental paradigm vital
to our understanding of the properties of one-dimensional quantum systems,
which has only recently led to a number of theoretical breakthroughs in
understanding how electrons behave in the one-dimensional world.

To expand the explanation, in our everyday real life experience, we live in
a three-dimensional world.

Phenomena in a world of the crack with only one spatial dimension may
appear an esoteric subject, and for a long time it was perceived as such.
But today, this is changing as our knowledge of matter’s inner atomic
structure has evolved. It appears that in many real-life materials a
chain-like pattern of overlapping atomic orbitals leaves electrons
belonging on these orbitals with only one dimension where they can freely
travel.

With the nano-patterned microchips and nano-wires heading into consumer
electronics, the question “how do electrons behave in one dimension?” is no
longer a theoretical playground but something that a curious mind might ask
when thinking of how his or her computer works. One-dimensional problems
being mathematically simpler, a number of exact solutions describing
“model” one-dimensional systems were known to theorists for years.

Only recently has the conformal field theory of the constrained dimensional
movement of the electron been consolidated and experimentally verified.

Our past knowledge has now been put together like the pieces of a jigsaw
puzzle and predicts remarkable universal critical behavior for
one-dimensional systems.

The world of one dimension is full of surprises that we can readily
appreciate if we can use our imaginations

The geometry of one dimension has its special rules and is more restrictive
than we would imagine.

In the one dimensional world,  two objects cannot move past one another
unless they can penetrate each other; the one on the right will always
remain on the right, and the one on the left will always be on the left.
Hence, a clear distinction between the two fundamental types of particles,
those obeying Bose and Fermi statistics, disappears in the one-dimensional
world.

Indeed, the difference between bosons and fermions comes into play in
quantum mechanics when two particles swap places. This has no effect for
the system of bosons but changes the sign
of the wave function for fermions. If particles never swap places, the
system’s descriptions in terms of Bose and Fermi elementary excitations are
equally legitimate, the choice being just a matter of convenience as the
non-interacting fermions are equivalent to strongly interacting bosons and
vice versa.

The one dimensional quantum field theory theorists have developed a new
technique known as “bosonisation” which provides a unified description of
the one-dimensional world of the electron.

When cracks develop on the surface of metals, we enter the world of one
dimensional electron flow were bosonisation and Luttinger liquid theory
apply.

Furthermore, Fermi-liquid accurately predicts the properties of “usual”,
three-dimensional metals, but fails dramatically in one dimension. In the
volume in and immediate around the crack, we must use the new concept of a
Luttinger liquid to understand the way electrons behave.

A Luttinger liquid theory predicts universal properties for the great
variety of one dimensional systems, including the electronic states of
carbon nanotubes and nanowires, conducting properties of conjugated
polymers and fluid behavior of Bose liquids confined within one dimensional
nano-capillaries.

The simplest and best studied example of the Luttinger liquid is a chain of
quantum spins ½ where the energy depends on the misalignment of the nearest
neighbors.

The detection of superconductive behavior in and around cracks by Miley
might be understood as a consequence of the “bosonisation”  of electrons
due to the one dimensional electron flow were electrons become ballistic
and can ignore impurities that would usually restrict electron flow in
three dimensions.

I believe that this appearance of superconductive behavior of electron flow
is an important clue to the one dimensional nature of electron behavior in
and around the crack that Ed Storms is addressing.

Cheers:  Axil