> In any event, the current notion of austerity is nonsense and is tied to
> a tired and outdated concept that money is real or has some intrinsic
> real value which it doesn't.  Austerity = Stupidity and I think every so
> often we as a society have to go through stretches of it before we
> remember that basic truth.

I agree.

This concept called "velocity", I seem to recall that it was described
as the "multiplier effect", this from the macroeconomic course I took
back in college.

<soap box>

Eventually we'll need to vote out those in power who continue to
follow a quaint ideology that believes in maintaining the value of
"currency" as a fixed resource is the only way to run an economy. I
think this is a patently absurd concept to maintain in today's
increasingly automated high-tech world. In fact we don't maintain
fixed amounts of money in today modern economy anyway. "Money supply"
is constantly being manipulated. Any belief that we always have a
fixed sum of money flowing through the economy is an incredibly
inaccurate one.

We currently have in the United States several vocal super
conservative political groups vying for absolute power. They are
trying to put the kibosh on all sorts of government spending programs.
Many have bought into a carefully manufactured fear that basically
states: We as a society can no longer afford to pay for all sorts of
valuable government services. They fear that to continue to fund these
programs will eventually result in rampant inflation which of course
will devalue the accumulate wealth everyone's pocket book both rich
and poor, but ESPECIALLY the accumulated wealth in the rich man's
pocket book.

It is exactly on this front where the struggle for the control of
"money supply" needs to be better understood and better managed. Many
conservatives fear that if the government simply went ahead and
printed up more money instead of issuing additional government bonds
that will "pay" for such services, such "fiscal irresponsibility" will
eventually result in massive amounts of inflation that would ravage
the economy. However, what few Grok is the fact that experiencing the
"ravages" of inflation is exactly equivalent to experiencing the
ravages of taxation. The point being: you can either be taxed in
hopefully a reasonably equitable many - or we can all experience the
ravages of inflation which is essentially being levied a flat-tax
against everyone both rich and por. Either way, we all end up paying
for necessary valuable government services.

OTOH, if we refuse to pay for these programs, which is the mantra of
many super conservative organizations, we will essentially throw off
massive numbers of people back into the unemployment line making them
unproductive and an added burden to society. More of society begins to
lose access to necessary services whether those services are for
adequate health care, or to maintaining the health of our nation's
infrastructure, such as roads and bridges.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that we currently have a number of
conservative groups who are not willing to look any farther than the
notion of protecting the accumulated value of their own bank accounts.
They have bought into the illusion that maintaining a constant fixed
value for money is the most important "resource" to manage in their
lives. They have bought into the illusion that managing the "resource"
of money (as perceive in the form of a fixed limited resource) is far
more important than trying to help better manage any other "resource".
A real irony in all of this is the fact that the manufacture of goods
and services is ultimately what's responsible for giving VALUE to what
has been accumulated in all of private bank accounts both rich and
poor.

</soap box>

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson