From: Axil Axil <janap...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Tue, Jul 24, 2012 3:07 am
Subject: [Vo]:What the DOD gave to Rossi?

Why is the DOD interested in Carbon Nanotubes (CNT)?

The DOD has been interested in field emission knowhow as a critical air warfare
weapons technology from as far back as the development of the B2 stealth
bomber. This technology is used to cover the air close to the surface of the
stealth plane with a thin layer of plasma.

>From about the turn of the century, carbon nanotube applications became
>important in stealth technology and the DOD became a major sponsor in
>supporting R&D in field emission nanotubes based appliances to replace the
>older less efficient field emission devices. Hundreds of grants are issued
>every year to university departments that specialize in carbon nanotube (CNT)
>field emission technology including optimize mass production of the highest
>quality CNT manufactured in bulk quantities.

>From the technology roadmap from the air force major that I have recently
>posted about, This PhD thesis shows an example of very advanced unclassified
>CNT field emission technology and the steps in its development.

Being confused by it at first, I noticed that the nanotubes were housed in a
regular cavity patterned lattice formed in the substrate material. In mulling
it over, this design peculiarity is probably needed to protect the CNTs bundles
from the ravages of turbulent air flow at the surface of selected locations on
the skin of a stealth aircraft using plasma stealth. This perforated
configuration can also support an electron acceleration grid to increase the
potential of the plasma.

Plasma stealth is a phenomenon that utilizes ionized gas; air (plasma) to
reduce the radar cross section of a stealth aircraft. This plasma sheet
redirects radar reflections as the interactions between electromagnetic
radiation and this thin ionized gas layer redirects and randomizes reflected
broadcast electromagnetic radiation echoes.

The Plasma stealth method is one of various methods that might plausibly be
able to form a layer or cloud of plasma around a vehicle to deflect or absorb
radar through the production of a steady state electrostatic discharge.

The Journal of Electronic Defense reported that "plasma-cloud-generation
technology for stealth applications" developed in Russia reduces an aircraft's
Radar Cross Section (RCS) by a factor of 100. According to this June 2002
article, the Russian plasma stealth device has been tested aboard a Sukhoi
Su-27IB fighter-bomber. The Journal also reported that similar research into
applications of plasma for RCS reduction is being carried out by Accurate
Automation Corporation (Chattanooga, Tennessee) and Old Dominion University
(Norfolk, Virginia) in the U.S.; and by Dassault Aviation (Saint-Cloud, France)
and Thales (Paris, France).

Plasma layers around aircraft have been considered for purposes other than
stealth. There are many research papers on the use of plasma to reduce
aerodynamic drag. In particular, electrohydrodynamic coupling can be used to
accelerate air flow near an aerodynamic surface. Research suggests that the use
of a plasma panel for boundary layer control on a wing increases low-speed wing
performance. If the generated plasma layers are tunable, this layer could
shield against HMP/EMP and HERF weaponry or act as optical radiation pressure
actuators.

>From an overview of their sponsored research, for more than a decade the DOD
>has acted in their R&D policies consistent with the goal of producing the most
>powerful and efficient CNT field emission technology that money can buy, These
>defense need far exceeds anything that a commercial application could possibly
>use or need, IMHO.

When did Rossi switch his process to carbon nanotubes?

All indications are that Rossi changed the design of his core just after he
broke his relationship with DGT on or about August 4th 2011

He replaced the pipe based topology with a square box setup which Rossi used
when he went into the October pre demo warm-up and the self-sustain dog and
pony show with US government agents. About that time we hear that Rossi begins
to use the frequency generator; a device that does not rely on thermionic
control mechanisms to keep his reaction operating stably.

He also begins to use CNTs in this period of development to gain better control
of his reaction as witnessed by the newly adopted rectangular shape of his
reactor.

What the DOD gave to Rossi?

When Rossi explained how his reactor worked in detail to the DOD LENR
developers, these DOD R&D journeymen saw the opportunity to replace an
amateurishly produced and poorly grown CNTs and their associated spark ark
drive with their state of the art direct current drive Single Walled Nanotube
(SWNT) field emission devices adapted from stealth applications. This superior
device had been in an accelerated development cycle for more than a decade
since about the year 2000. It was a good fit, and a good marriage between Rossi
and the DOD.  This partnership laid the groundwork for excellent computer based
control of a very high temperature LENR reaction in an extremely small high
efficiency core. The miniaturization of the core is a critical design goal of
the DOD project managers so that they could to meet or exceed airborne power
applications specifications as supported by the cores unmatched power to weight
ratio and the simplicity of its direct current integrated computer control.

Cheers:  Axil