What is well know science today is thate unlike the radioprotection
assumption, effect of dose is not at all linear without treshold.

in fact any agression, like oxygen, chemican aggressors, heat, sun,
radiation, might cause DNA error.
if the dose is very low, the cell detect the error and launch "apoptosis"
(clean suicide).
if dose get higher (the cell know that because of neighbor messaging) the
cell use  heat shock protein system to repair nicely all the errors.
if errors get too numerous, the repair start to be dirty (just filling the
hole).
when it get worse, the cell stop doing anything and let it happens.

the result with that system is that a small dose of radiation, sun, heat,
chemical, might activate heat shock protein defense system, and help the
body resist higher dose.
This is probabloy the mechanisme behind some case of Hormesis observed.

Maurice tubiana have written article on that subject.
the only I have found is in french
http://e2phy.in2p3.fr/2001/tubiana2.doc

the tresholh that seems probable todazy is
below 100mSv : nothing
few 100mSv, long term negative effect (lower than usual bad behavior like
overweight, alcohol, tobacco) but shot term hormesis protecting from high
dose like 1Sv
1Sv well know short term disease
5Sv half death
8Sv all dead

recent treatment might have changed the higher dose mortality

despite the rumor no effect transmitted on descendant, but strong effect on
foetus.

half dose for kids

about heavy dose, much above 1Sv, note the recent breakthrough tested on
ices that allow to save from death, by avoiding infection from the
intestine...

for some Chernobyl thyroid cancer is only cause by stupidly allowing kid to
drink contaminated milk from local contaminated cows.
that is the point to manage in fukushima.