The gas atoms, instead of fusing or reacting chemically are colliding and
collapsing into a point source due to high energy at the point of collision
and the effect of quantum gravity (which is much larger) at the quantum
level.  This point source, or "black hole" radiates back to the
surroundings the nuclear goo that universes are made of.  The reason
quantum gravity is much stronger at the quantum level is because there are
thought to be about 11 or so dimensions of space all curled up there.  That
"ball lightning" is a quantum singularity(s) evaporating and radiating the
full spectrum of Nuclear Goo which is powerful enough to create new
universes.  Fortunately in this case it evaporates very quickly, primarily
releasing radiation that shows up as heat.

I just hope that the reason we have not found other intelligent life is
that they all got their hands on a quantum singularity engine at some point
and stepped on the throttle too hard...