There is interesting thing to note, that the rotation of the wheel is
oscillating. This probably means that the oscillation is chaotic and is
governed by nonlinear dynamics. This also means that system is not freely
rotating, but there are significant friction forces that resist the rotation of
wheel. But magnetic pushing forces in the track are stronger than resisting
magnetic forces. Thus the work needed to be done to lift the driving magnet is
probably not the strongest force that is acting against the rotation.

Therefore this is not only very good proof of concept for perpetual motion
machine, but it is also very educational demonstration of chaotic oscillation
of rotation. Nonlinear dynamics in chaos theory is probably even more
interesting and more revolutionary idea to classical physics than perpetual
motion machine is.

This is indeed very interesting idea, because it shows, that the concept of
work in classical mechanics is ill-defined. Quantum mechanics is way more
interesting. Also QM does not comment on energy conservation of macroscopic
systems. It just states that energy is conserved in quantum systems. Why this
energy conservation principle cannot be applied to macroscopic system is
evident if we understand the concept of emergence.

Other interesting example for similar phenomenon is the formation of spiral
galaxies. It is needed huge amount of work to form spiral galaxy, but gravity
can still do it without consuming energy. Conservation of energy is failing at
macroscopic systems also if we look expanding universe as whole. Photons are
losing their energy but on the other hand, the amount of vacuum energy is
increasing exponentially while universe is expanding.

This is very interesting idea indeed, but this particular perpetual motion
machine can be understood well if we just understand what is the underlying
reason behind electromagnetism. The concept behind is no more problematic than
refrigerator magnet.

We live in nonlinear quantum universe. There is very little room for classical
mechanics!

James, I have not done the arithmetics, but it is important to understand that
permanent magnets do not store 'magnetic energy', but magnetism emerges from
the proper order of magnetic dipoles. Therefore magnetism is just information
and it can violate as a macroscopic system the conservation of energy
principles and QM has nothing to complain, because QM does not comment on
macroscopic systems.

―Jouni