Jed,

    You probably remember Tom Droege the Electrical Engineer from Fermi
lab.  He had a live P&F replication running for few months and would post
his latest measurements in Usenet's sci.physics.fusion group.  I think he
did eventually publish a conference paper on coloremetry, but his eventual
conclusion was he could not replicate the P&F effect. Now there is back
story to this.   Tom and I got to be collaborators on a post analysis of
one of his cells. At the time, I had access to state of the art EDAX system
on an Electron Microscope.  It was no wonder why he never got excess heat!
  He had a huge hunk of metal to load! No wonder it took him two months!
 It was shaped like and about the same size as a big 1000mg fish oil
capsule.  It was  spilt all the way down it's length from the swelling and

Anyway,  the EDAX plots I sent him where pretty incredible.  The EDAX was
from x-ray back scatter analysis of the surface of his electrode, and it
was covered with *tons* of junk.  Most from his counter electrode, but one
element stood out as weird;  yttrium.   Tom was very excited about that
finding and even had a theory that yttrium would appear in D+Pd nuclear
reaction.    All of that passed with Tom, I suspect.

Best Regards,
Chuck