"The Scientific American" has been, for at least 25 years, little more than
"The Scientific Democrat".  In other words, it is politics posing as
science.  BTW:  I was an adviser to Dukakis's platform committee in 88' and
I first used the term "The Scientific Democrat" around that time, the bias
was so obvious and embarrassing.

I don't know what happened to SciAm in the 80's.  Does anyone have an
explanation?

In any event, the important thing to note here is that they feel it
necessary to sacrifice one of their pawns.

What can be the point of this to "The Scientific Democrat"'s political
agenda?  Is it just a random spasm?