From: Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:16 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:How bad is this news? Jed Rothwell

Jouni Valkonen <jounivalko...@gmail.com> wrote:

It should be obvious that there is politics involved in climate science. There
is just too much money and urgency involved. This means also corruption,
because science is not clear and it is very difficult and everyone wants to see
what the wish most.

Absolutely true!

It is a political minefield. No doubt people on both sides of the dispute
sometimes distort and play politics. I did not mean to suggest the researchers
are all pure-heart scientists, and opponents all ignorant people or oil company
shills.

I expect there are smart & honest people on both sides.

I can only judge by looking at externalities, particularly the fact that the
majority of working scientists within the field agree. Since I know so little
about it, I must depend upon their professional expertise. This is weak
argument compared to a direct technical argument, but I am not capable of
making such a argument.

But let us be realistic. We depend upon experts for 99.99% of our knowledge of
the world. We assume they are right about nearly everything. We bet our lives
on experts every time we fly in an airplane or undergo surgery. Or take a ferry
boat in the Inland Sea. We can do this with confidence because most of the time
they are right.

Regarding that ferry boat, I meant to say it is not surprising that once in a
while one captain makes a mistake. On the other hand, if next Tuesday every
single ferry boat captain in the Inland Sea runs aground, that would be very
surprising. The likelihood of that is effectively zero. The likelihood that
ever single climate scientist is wrong, and every single cold fusion researcher
is wrong, is also so close to zero I wouldn't worry about it.

Here is an article about the ferry mishap, which involved a bunch of high
school students. They were freaked out, according to my friends in Oshima (or
Suo-oshima as it is listed here):

http://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/News/Tn201211150043.html