last would be the easiest to try for anyone without H2.

From: Jack Cole

That should be easy enough to carry out.  I will order some constantan and
some more nitinol.

Are you thinking that the hydrogen loading may be unnecessary?

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 8:50 AM, Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

Jack,

If anomalous cooling in Nitinol (putative) is of any interest - here is
about the simplest experiment which can tell an experimenter something worth
knowing. I've not done it, but it is now on my list.

It would be to compare the relative temperature rise using simple resistance
heating of a known mass of electrolyte and identical watt-hours of input -
using two wires of similar resistance, one of which is suspected to cool
anomalously (Nitinol) and the other to heat anomalously (Constantan or
Monel).

No water-splitting or phase-change here to confuse things, just simple
heating of the same mass of water in otherwise identical runs - and logging
temperature rise over time with a precision thermometer - of each wire. My
guess is that Nitinol will supply slightly less heat to the water than
Constantan for the same electrical input. But this is based on Ahern's
results with specialty nano-powder, so the expectation may not apply. Both
wires should be etched to provide Casimir porosity.

In checking just now - the electrical resistivity of Constantan and Nitinol
are not the same, but close enough to get identical resistance in two sample
test wires. IOW - by varying the length of wires (or gauge or both) one can
get the same resistance. By using the same wetted surface area with wires of
different lengths, fairly accurate comparative results should be possible
even though there is slightly more constantan by length, since the wetted
area is the same.

The results would not be a perfect indicator of an anomaly between the two
types of nickel alloy - but could inspire enough confidence to move onto a
more accurate (and expensive) technique.

From: Jack Cole

Jones,

I'm still working the kinks out of the experimental procedures.  At first
glance, the behavior doesn't appear to be different than the nickel and
tungsten.

What I am working on now is a three electrode system.  One is made out of
nitinol, and I'm using this as a heating element only.  Another is made out
of nitinol of the same length as the one used for the heating element.  The
third is made from stainless steel.

With the Android control system, I am running DC electrolysis for 9 seconds
(16 watts) and then pulse 80-90 watts of 94khz AC (100 milliseconds) through
either the heating element or axially through the cathode.

What you end up with is a comparison of runs of pulsing the AC through the
cathode vs. pulsing it through the nitinol used as a heating element.  I
have to make a new cathode and heating element and start over making certain
the impendance is matched for both.  The idea is that you have one nitinol
wire loaded with hydrogen and one that is not loaded with hydrogen.  I'm
thinking the HFAC current may trigger LENR in the hydrogen loaded cathode
but not in the heating element.

I thought the nitinol is intriguing for the reasons you noted (titanium and
nickel being used in past experiments) and its shape changing when heated.
I think the next thing to try will be a similar setup using a combination of
tungsten and nitinol paired together.  Then we'll be running with 3
materials that have shown results from other researchers.

Also, thank you for the thoughts on endotherm possibilities.  I'll keep that
in mind if I see something anomalous.

Jack