From: Edmund Storms [mailto:stor...@ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:30 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Cc: Edmund Storms
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Another article about the impact of automation on employment

On Jan 29, 2013, at 1:07 PM, Jed Rothwell wrote:

Ed Storms wrote:

Thanks Mark. Their view of reality differs significantly from what the
people I read describe. I tend to believe my people because they
predicted the 2008 collapse while Krugman did not. . . .

Krugman did predict it, and warned against it several times. Such as here, in
2005:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/27/opinion/27krugman.html?_r=0

He repeatedly described the banks' investments in real estate as junk.

Jed, I read this article and I see no concern except the usual generalities. He
observes that a bubble was being created in the housing market. He even
observed, apparently approvingly, that the government would create another
after this one bursts, although he did not anticipate the way this is presently
being done.  He made no mention that this bubble would almost bring down the
entire world ecconomy.   I will give him some credit, He was not as calm about
the problem as was Sir Greenspan.  Meanwhile, other people were very exact
about what would happen and when - three years later from this article.

In fact the
difference is frightening similar to that earlier. Krugman sees no
problem with the status quo while the people I read are in a panic.

Wrong again. He is very much against the status quo. He is not in a panic for
the same reason I am not, and my mother would not be. It is a personality thing.

I also do not like to be in a panic. As a result, I lost a lot of money during
the 2008 collapse by not taking the panic seriously. I do not intend to let
this happen again.

Ed

We don't get into a tizzy, perhaps even when we should. Case in point: my
mother was riding a trolley car past the Blair House on November 1, 1950.
President Truman was living there while the White House was being rebuilt.
There was a series of loud bangs. Someone said, "they're trying to assassinate
the president!!" My mother said, "don't be silly; it is just a car backfiring"
and went back to her newspaper. It turned out someone was trying to assassinate
the president.