Hi Jones,
[snip]
>In the end - if you want to find a practical and gainful heat-to-electricity
>device close to ambient, then provide the virtual sink well below ambient.
>That may be difficult, but Dirac permits it – and I would never argue with PAM.

..wasn't it you who first mentioned mercury based semiconductors with a very low
bandgap on this list?

Quite apart from that however consider that the kinetic energy of molecules
tends to be distributed across all energy levels, so if energy can be withdrawn
at *any* level, then that level will eventually be replenished by energy from
the other levels (the sum of which will become depleted by the amount
withdrawn). This is essentially what happens with wind-chill. There is a
specific amount of energy required to break the hydrogen bonds between water
molecules, and this is supplied by thermal energy of those molecules with
sufficient kinetic energy, with the temperature of the liquid dropping to
compensate for the lost energy, as the energy of the other molecules is
redistributed.

The implication of this is that a semiconductor with any bandgap should work,
though I would think that those with a smaller bandgap would probably work
faster as there is a larger population of low energy electrons than of high
energy electrons.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk