I like to use thought experiments to answer questions if possible since many
times that can show the direction that processes take.  It is a known fact that
if you take a red hot ball of iron and place it into deep empty space that the
heat will slowly radiate away in the form of black body radiation.  Eventually
most of the heat will be lost until it becomes in equilibrium with the
effective background temperature of the empty space that it is placed within.

We could have placed into the empty space a device such as you describe which
takes a portion of that energy and rectifies it into DC that can then be used
to drive a motor or stored within battery banks, etc.  If we had a lot of
ambition, we could place a very large number of these devices at a distance
from the hot material and collect a significant portion of the energy being
emitted.

Radio dipole antennas that are receiving RF energy actually radiate some of it
back into space which I assume would happen with the IR dipoles that you are
proposing.  To capture most of the radiated energy would require a large array
of individual antennas that would constantly be passing energy among each other
and perhaps back to the hot source.

I can think of no reason to assume that this process would not continue for a
long time as the heat is being converted into other forms of energy.  Some of
the energy would ping pong back and forth between the vast array of antennas,
but the only losses expected would be due to resistive heating and that could
be eliminated by using super conductor antennas.

It seems theoretically possible for you to construct this antenna system as
many devices embedded into empty space for a great distance beyond the heat
source.  Eventually, such an arrangement would absorb all of the heat with
essentially none getting past the farthest removed antennas.

Of course it is understood that different tuning of antennas is required to
grab the different frequencies being radiated.

So, the bottom line is that heat energy should be capable of being converted
into other forms of energy with high efficiency under the right set of
circumstances.  One form of energy is apparently no better than the second form
and they can be converted.  The laws of thermodynamics prevent a heat engine
from doing the conversion very well, but they do not stop you from further
conversion if you are determined.

I think that this is a logical argument, but perhaps others can see a fallacy.

Dave