Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

 Speaking of synergy with hydroelectric (gravity) which can be added to
> wind/solar farms in close proximity . . .

In many places. But not, for example, in Texas, where the landscape is
flat. Not a lot of uphill to go to.

They put some wind farms on gigantic mesas in Texas, which are up in the
air but still pretty flat. Not a lot of water out there, either.

I expect the Pacific Northwest would be ideal for this.

As I mentioned, in Belgium they are thinking of making a hole in the ocean.
The ocean is flat but this works anyway. Perhaps it would work in the Gulf
of Mexico off of Texas.

I view wind and pumped storage as a temporary solution before we get cold
fusion or some kind of plasma fusion. We need the clean energy now, so we
should build it. There will be a long overlap while we install cold fusion,
maybe 20 to 40 years. We should use wind turbines during that transition,
rather than coal. The turbines will pay back and even wear out in 20 years.
We will get our money's worth. Jim Dunn and I has a spirited debate about
how long the transition is likely to take. I say sooner, he says later.
Either way, a wind turbine installed the day serious cold fusion research
begins will likely pay for itself. I described part of our conversation
here:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJthefuturem.pdf