From: Jed Rothwell

In many places. But not, for example, in Texas, where the landscape is flat.
Not a lot of uphill to go to.

They put some wind farms on gigantic mesas in Texas, which are up in the air
but still pretty flat. Not a lot of water out there, either.

I expect the Pacific Northwest would be ideal for this.

Well, to get back to Peter Graneau's actual proposal - the synergy attaches
to an already existing hydroelectric facility.

It is another kind of in situ synergy which is not related to wind/solar. It
would add its own boost as a separate effect, even when those are added to
pumped storage. Any existing dam or pumped storage facility could have this
device, assuming it works - as a replacement turbine.

Apparently, a lot of folks did not fully understand the implications of his
original article in IE, myself included.

In short, his suggestion is to exchange the old type of water turbine (which
is very efficient but that is not the point) for a new type of turbine, and
it looks similar but it can capture "hydrogen bond energy" in addition to
gravitational energy. I suspect that some of the net electrical or
mechanical power will need to be recycled to do this, but he suggests a 2:1
net gain.

This is not exactly the same thing as the water arc explosion, if I
understand it. In effect, more net energy is available from water flow
itself (according to Peter) but the excess energy is chemical not
gravitational.

However, I think one of the major problems is that this contention is
lacking in real proof, and in a situation where it should be rather
straightforward to provide proof and where there would be a lot of interest
from people like TVA.

Jones