Incomplete theory, less than optimum results...

It had only been five years since Orville and Wilbur Wright made their famous
flight at Kitty
Hawk<http://history1900s.about.com/od/firstflight/a/Wright-Brothers.htm>.
By 1908, the Wright brothers were traveling across the United States and
Europe in order to demonstrate their flying machine. Everything went well
until that fateful day in September that began with a cheering crowd of
2,000 and ended with pilot Orville Wright severely injured and passenger
Lieutenant Thomas Selfridge dead.