Mark Gibbs <mgi...@gibbs.com> wrote:

> That's only success within a limited context which is the duration of the
> experiments (or "tests" or whatever you'd like to call them).

The entire process is an experiment. One continuous segment with one sample
is a test.

> I'm not pooh-poohing the results but I think that to claim or imply that
> the technology of LENR is understood in any "deep" way or on the edge of
> practicality is a little optimistic if someone with Ed's experience can't
> be sure if a sample will work or not.

I know everyone in this field and I do not know ANYONE who claims they
understand in a deep way, or that LENR is on the edge of practicality. Most
people I know with experience in industry, such as Fleischmann, Bockris and
Melich, say it would take hundreds of millions of dollars to bring it to
that edge.

The tests at Toyota showed that the reaction is capable of reaching the
power density and temperatures of a conventional fission reactor, so there
is no question that it is physically possible for this reaction to produce
useful energy. However, the reaction cannot be controlled and -- as Ed
pointed out -- the material does not last, so a practical, commercial
reactor is out of the question. If you tried to scale up and build one, it
would probably not work. Or it might work so well it blows your head off.