*“What happens to an electron that is in free space when it encounters a
photon?”*

>From QED, this type of ordinary electron has a probability of absorbing the
photon and then reemitting it.

This happens all the time when plane old electrons orbit the nucleus when
an electron jumps between orbital shells of an atom.

These ordinary electrons do gain and lose energy in quanta.

But the formation of polaritons is a different animal. The nanoantenna
forces the light photon and electron together using resonance for a very
long time (10 to 20 picoseconds).

This marriage between an electron an infrared photon gives the photon of
light some mass and most importantly for LENR electric charge.

In this mating, the Photon cools the electron down by a huge factor by
reducing its energy. Based on the wavelength of the photon, an infrared
photon can cool and electron down by a factor of 100,000 or more.

The polariton comes out of the marriage with the electron with a
temperature of 2 meV or 2 mille-electron volts. This is very cold. That
puts the temperature of the polariton very close to absolute zero
(Temperature < 1 Kelven). At this very low temperature, Bose-Einstein
condensation happens at the drop of a hat.

After the electron marriage, because the polariton has inherited spin of 1
from the photon, there is no limit to how many polaritons can be packed
together in a small volume because the Pauli Exclusion Principle is no
longer relevant.

If you wanted to build the ideal charged particle to concentrate charge for
coulomb screening, and to thermalize nuclear radiation that result, you
could not build a better particle than a polariton.