On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:30 AM, Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> [...]

according to Wikipedia free neutrons can decay in two ways

1) n ā†’ p  +  eāˆ’  +  neutrino

2) n ā†’ p  +  eāˆ’  +  neutrino +  gamma

In first case it is not clear how or if the energy of the decay
products can thermalized.
In the second case a Hagelstein process is required to thermalize the gammas.

> However, it is hard to see a neutron decay happening with any regularity,
> and the cross-section for gamma capture would be extraordinarily low.
> However, we have talked before about NMR techniques - which could
> conceivably decouple the neutron and thereby allow it to decay naturally as
> a free neutron.
>

> This is arguably possible because the electron of the deuteron supplies a
> local field of about 12 T. if memory serves, and the NRM frequencies of the
> proton and deuteron are very different in that field - so it might be
> possible to do some kind of resonant splitting - to free the neutron. The
> frequencies needed are not extreme, below microwave actually.
>
> Jones

If a neutron can be made decay while in a deuteron then it seems to me
the warming of the lattice is best explained
by the motion arising from the mutual repulsion of the protons.
Thermalization of gammas is not necessary.

Harry