Tunneling is not "applied" when an unexpected phenomenon occurs. Tunneling
is a phenomenon completely described within quantum mechanics. The word is
a metaphor because it represents a particle's ability to penetrate a narrow
potential energy barrier higher than its own kinetic energy, but the
phenomenon is perfectly well described by quantum mechanical theory
developed nearly a century ago, and taught at the undergraduate physics
level. The experimental rates match the expected rates to ridiculous
accuracy.

The only conflict is with classical mechanics. But tunneling is not
superimposed on classical theory so classical theory can be retained.
Quantum mechanics is a self-consistent theory, and tunneling is an
intrinsic part of it.

Perhaps it's no wonder that someone with such a misguided understanding of
elementary physics is also a true believer in cold fusion.