> Yes, tunneling is described using quantum mechanics. Nevertheless, it is
applied because the concept of a barrier energy does not work.

No, that's wrong. The concept of barrier energy certainly does work. And
again, tunneling is not "applied", it is a phenomenon predicted and
observed. Set up an energy barrier, send a wave-function toward it, and use
the standard procedure to calculate the probability of penetration. Works
perfect.

> A mathematical model was required to account for the rate of a reaction
being greater than the barrier energy based on QM would allow.

No. That's wrong. Tunneling comes out of QM formalism. It was not added in.

> In the case of CF, the rate is much greater than expected based on the
barrier energy obtained from hot fusion studies.

Hot fusion shmot fusion. The claimed rate is much greater than QM predicts.
The same QM theory that works in exquisite detail at low and high energy.

> I'm proposing that this tunneling concept simply does not apply to CF.

You're proposing that QM -- as she is spoke -- does not apply. You're not
using the concept of tunneling correctly.

> The CF reaction is not the result of tunneling through the expected
barrier. The concept has no meaning when applied to this process.
 Obviously, the concept has some value when applied elsewhere, although I
suspect it is more of a church than an explanation.

Assuming you mean crutch, that's where you're so misguided. It's not a
crutch. It's part of the theory. It comes directly out of Schrodinger's or
Heisenberg's QM as first applied to describe the energy levels in hydrogen.
Nothing was added to describe tunneling.

> Yes, I'm a believer in CF because I value what I can see more than I
value what you and other people claim must be true based on what you call
elementary physics.

No one disagrees that experiment rules. The disagreement is on the
credibility of the experiments. The slow but sure decrease in the size of
the claims as the experiments improve, as detailed in your own papers, is
symptomatic of pathological science.